The internship program offers students the opportunity to sharpen their professional skills under the critical eyes of practitioners, to relate their education in the arts and sciences to communications professions and to explore career interests. Through COMM 495, the College offers internship opportunities with newspapers, advertising agencies, broadcasting stations, public relations offices, magazines and other groups concerned with public communication.
Most internships are for three credits — and the maximum number of internship credits a College of Communications major may acquire is six, regardless of the number of internships served. Some internships may be for one or two credits, depending on the understanding with the sponsor and the number of intern hours served. Approximately 200 hours of internship experience are required for three credits, with proportionately fewer hours for fewer credits. Valuing their internship experiences, some students choose to serve 200 or more intern hours with a sponsor despite the fact that they may be registered for fewer than three credits.
How to Apply for a For-Credit Internship
- Review our PowerPoint presentation about internship programs.
- Complete the For-Credit Internship Application. E-mail to Stephanie Girouard - email@example.com
- Secured your internship and want to/are required to take it for-credit? Complete and return the "Prospect Form" which is only required if you accept an internship with a location that is not a registered internship location.
- Secured your internship and the internship location is requiring a letter verifying you will receive credit? Complete and return the editable "Letter Verifying You Will Receive Credit" form. The "Letter Verifying You Will Receive Credit" is only required if your internship location has requested documentation from Penn State. Simply replace the content contained within the brackets( << >> ) with your information. The information you provide on the letter will be printed on school letter head and signed by Bob Martin, Assistant Dean, Internships and Career Placement. Please note a "Letter Verifying You Will Receive Credit" will only be completed if you, the student, have an approved "Internship Application" on file with the Internships & Career Placement Office. Please email your completed "Letter Verifying You Will Receive Credit" to Stephanie Girouard - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still Looking for an Internship (paid or for-credit)?
- We can help! Review our database of more than 3,000 internship opportunities and choose those that interest you.
- Please limit your selections to 15 to 20 internship sites and indicate the category and name of each company with which you would like to pursue an internship.
- E-mail your selections to Stephanie Girouard - email@example.com.
- Once she receives your list, Stephanie will e-mail you a profile including detailed information on each of the internship locations you have selected. After that, you are welcome to pursue the locations you selected. However, you may want to consult our office on an effective strategy before you pursue each location. We do not guarantee 100 percent accuracy of the information on each profile and we highly recommend you research each internship lead before you apply.
Questions or Concerns?
Page last updated: April 6, 2015