First-year Engagement Plan
The College of Communications offers a first-year experience to incoming freshmen at University Park that meets the goals and objectives as outlined by University and consists of two main components. Those components are:
All students must take a one-credit, first-year seminar. All seminars are taught by full-time faculty and are offered on a variety of topics related to communications and the College's five majors. The seminars offer students the opportunity to interact with faculty in a small class setting while exploring the field of communications. Students are encouraged to take a seminar related to their prospective major if possible. A unit on academic integrity is include in every seminar.
First-year engagement activities comprise the second component of the first-year experience. All first-year students in the College of Communications are required to attend and/or participate in FIVE activities such as those listed below. The activities will introduce them to the College and the University communities. Other activities may be incorporated into first-year seminars.
After completing an activity, students are required to reflect on the experience as part of their first-year seminar grade. The seminar instructor will provide details on the format of the reflections.
- Participation in the College's undergraduate research opportunities
Creating a blog or e-Portfolio using your personal web space provided by Penn State. More information about the Penn State blog tool may be found at http://blogs.psu.edu online.
Link -- PDF instructions on creating a FYE blog.
- College of Communications-sponsored events such as the Foster Conference, the Pockrass Memorial Lecture, Hearst Lecture and the Donald W. Davis Symposium.
- University Library Open House or library tutorial.
- An on-campus, arts-related event such as: a musical performance, theatrical performance or film screening or a tour of the Palmer Art Museum, lecture, gallery talk or workshop.
- University-sponsored events such as the Distinguished Speaker Series or a Paul Robeson Cultural Center event.
- An Education Abroad presentation or fair.
- A meeting of a recognized College of Communications club or student-run organization.
- Presentation by the Office of Internships and Career Services in the College of Communications.
- A career fair or workshop conducted by University Career Services.
- Become involved in a service organization on campus.
- Meet with a College of Communications adviser.
- An iStudy for Success module (i.e. Academic Integrity, Time Management, Writing).
- An activity specified by First-Year Seminar instructor.
Students may consult the University's event calendar page for the most up-to-date information about events at Penn State.
Page last updated: December 13, 2012