Faculty Staff Resources
- The University requires that each unit identifies, removes, and/or protects Personally Identifiable Information (PII), on all Penn State desktops, laptops, and servers and it is important that the College is in compliance. Identity Finder is a tool that automatically runs in order to locate PII, and it is the responsibility of each user to review the results. Identity Finder can also be run manually on an Apple/Mac by going to Applications and selecting "Identify Finder" or on a Windows/PC by clicking the Windows Icon, "All Programs" and then Identity Finder. Tutorials are available for Windows and for Mac systems. Please contact IT Support at 865-1233 with questions.
- The 2013-2014 College of Communications Committee List is now available here.
- Resources for Reporting Wrongdoing can be accessed here.
- Academic Integrity Policy and its Academic Integrity Disposition Form
- Penn State Plagiarism Prevention Resources
- Sanctioning Guidelines for Violations of Academic Integrity
Employee Self-Service Information Center
ESSIC - Update personal, job, payroll, benefits information
- Penn State Faculty and Staff Resources
Computer Virus Protection
Policies & Guidelines for Faculty
Academic Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual
For information on academic policies and procedures such as those for attendance and final exams.
Policy on Awards, Honoraria and Other Tokens of Appreciation for Faculty, Staff, Students, Lecturers/Speakers and other campus visitors.
- College's Operating Guidelines
- Core Council letters
Digital Measures is the College's system for reporting faculty research, teaching, and service activities.
- Faculty Activity Cards are submitted electronically in the State Mandated Collection System (SMCS). This can be found online in the Employee Self-Service Information Center (ESSIC). After logging on to ESSIC, faculty will see a link for the State Mandated Collection System in the navigation menu on the left of the screen. Faculty will no longer be submitting hard copies of scantron sheets to Sherry Kyler. Please submit your hours using the State Mandated Collection System by the end of the semester. Detailed instructions about SMCS can be found at here. Questions regarding the new process should be directed to Jane Agnelly or Annette Jones.
- Faculty Handbook
Faculty Senate Resources Page
Curricular information and links to university sites on issues such as Academic Integrity, assessment, first-year engagement, faculty rights and responsibilities, and more.
GURU (General University Reference Utility)
University forms, policies, procedures and more.
Letters of Recommendation
FERPA states the letter may reveal information about the student's educational record ONLY IF the student has provided prior written consent. The Registrar's Office has issued a request form to better facilitate the gathering of consent.
- Mandatory Training: Faculty and staff are required to complete an online training module on how to report suspected child abuse. Each calendar year, you will need to obtain your certification by receiving an 80% or better on the assessment at the end of the online training. Keep a copy of the Certificate of Completion for your records.You should have received an email from Skillsoft with a user name and a temporary password that enables you to access the training. If you did not receive an email, please contact the Center for Workplace Learning & Performance at email@example.com or 865-8216.
The Faculty Communities is an initiative of the University Faculty Senate to promote communication within disciplines across all Penn State locations. Any Penn State faculty or staff member may access the Faculty Communities Hub.
- GURU (General University Reference Utility)
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Contact your research coordinator, Elaine Files, with key words for your funding searches.
- If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please send Elaine an email with a link to the Request for Proposal (RFP) once you have decided to submit.
- Attach the Proposal Information Form with the first six areas complete (budget portion will be completed at a later time). *Note: Depending on the funder and their requirements, submission time could range from three (3) weeks to several months.
- A scheduled, initial meeting with Elaine will help to work through the process and timeline for the proposal submission.
- Budget information can be completed with the help of the research coordinator. Use of the budget portion of the Proposal Information Form can aid in that discussion.
- Qualtrics -- If you are interested in gaining access to Qualtrics, login to https://pennstate.qualtrics.com with your Penn State user ID and password. Once you have created an account email Yu-Tai Chung requesting a Qualtrics Upgrade Code. If you are planning to use Qualtrics with your class, include an eLion class list in your email.
- Rates & Schedules (per diem lookup tool, car rental rates, graduate assistants table of stipends)
- Research Protections (human participant research, responsible conduct)
- Scholarship and Research Integrity -- Faculty who are working with undergraduate students on research should make sure those students have completed an online training module on ethics and best practices in research. Completion of this training is required by the university. For more information: http://www.research.psu.edu/training/sari.
- University Policy Manual (research administration policies and guidelines)
- COMM 494 Form -- Application for Undergraduate Reasearch (Updated SU13)
- COMM 496 & COMM 496H Forms -- Application for Independent Study (Updated SU13)
- FAQs on the University's Attendance Policy (Fall 2011)
- Final Exams: See Faculty Senate Policy 44-20
- Financial Literacy Guide for faculty and students
- Handling crises in the classroom: Should faculty members encounter a troubled student in their class, the University offers various ways to help the student. If the student is not an immediate danger to self or others, you can advise the student to call CAPS, or you can call CAPS (3-0395) to get counsel from the pros about how to address the student. If you believe the student could be a danger to self or others, call University Police Services (3-1111) or 911. Other resources include:
- Interfaith Holiday Absences: The Center for Ethics and Religious Affairs has compiled an Interfaith Holiday Listing that specifies holy days of the major world religions. Students may request exemptions from class attendance and other University obligations. See Faculty Senate Policy 42-27.
- Media Commons is a university-wide initiative to enrich the teaching and learning experience through multimedia technology, classroom training and direct support for students, faculty and staff. To learn more, contact Ryan Wetzel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-867-3695. If you are interested in scheduling a classroom workshop, please complete the On Demand Workshop request form.
- bookrequest.psu.edu(password-protected site). A form should be completed for each course you teach. (If you don't plan to use a textbook, you should still complete the form so students know.).
- Faculty are also able to submit their textbook information online using Faculty Enlight.
- Desk copies: Please visit facultycenter.net or notify Sherry Kyler (email@example.com).
- Syllabus reminders and classroom-related reminders for faculty
- Teaching and Learning with Technology
- Teaching with Technology certificates: Faculty members and graduate students teaching in the College of Communications can earn TWT certificates by visiting http://advising.psu.edu/epr.htm or emailing Shannon Kennan
- Technology Learning Assistant (TLA) program: Faculty members may apply to have a technology-savvy student provide one-on-one assistance on a range of issues. To learn more or make a request, please visit http://tlt.its.psu.edu/tla/.
- Tips for encouraging students to complete their SRTEs
- Instructors using Turnitin writing assessment service are urged to always use their PSU Access Account email address consisting of their user ID (ie: firstname.lastname@example.org) and NOT their PSU email alias (ie: email@example.com) or another non-PSU account, such as Gmail. Failure to do so could affect how Turnitin grades and classes are processed. Instructors should remind their students to use their PSU access account email within Turnitin. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel/Purchasing Info and Resources
- Employee Travel Support Form
- ERS -- Employee Reimbursement System
- Petty Cash Reimbursement Form
- Purchasing Card Support Form ("pink sheet")
- Purchasing Card Support Form for lost receipt
- Speaker's Agreement for Honorariums ($1K or more)
- University-sponsored Trips: Faculty members and students who travel on university-sponsored class or club trips must complete paperwork before they travel. Students must complete and sign both the Conduct Standards Agreement and the Emergency Contact & Health/Welfare Form prior to handing them to the faculty member (trip organizer). Faculty members must also fill out an emergency contact form before giving all completed forms to Dorie Glunt in 219 Carnegie Building. Both forms are available to students under the Current Students tab on the College's website.
Weather Policies & Information
- Class and Activity Cancellation Information
- Subscribe to PSU text message alert service
- Weather Day Absence Policy (HR Guideline 10)
Page last updated: November 11, 2013