How to Apply
Applications for admission for Fall 2017
Deadline: Ph.D. in Mass Communications, Dec. 15, 2016
Deadline: M.A. in Media Studies, Feb. 1, 2017
Please note: If you are applying to one of the degree programs in the College of Communications, please enter MASSC (Ph.D. in Mass Communications) or MEDIA (M.A. in Media Studies) on your online application form.
* Penn State also offers graduate degrees in Communication Arts and Sciences (CAS) in the College of the Liberal Arts, which emphasize rhetoric, public address, interpersonal communication, and group and organizational communication.
Online Application Requirements
The Graduate School online application will ask you to upload the following additional program-specific material:
- Statement of purpose (two to three pages explaining your academic interest and background in communications and how graduate study at Penn State fits into your career plans)
- Writing sample (any academic or professional work that demonstrates your analytical and writing abilities)
- Three (3) recommendations (preferably from those who can assess your past academic performance and potential for graduate studies). The Graduate School will notify the recommenders by email to fill out the rating form and to add additional information on the applicant. Please plan accordingly to give your recommenders plenty of time to submit their letters by the application's deadline.
Official GRE Scores (analytical writing, verbal general and quantitative general)
- University code: 2660
- Department code: 4508
- Official TOEFL Scores (for international students who have not received a degree from an English-language institution). A combined score of at least 80 with at least a 24 on the speaking is required. If a degree is earned from an accredited English-speaking institution, the TOEFL score will be waived.
The College of Communications offers Graduate Assistantships or University Graduate Fellowships to all Ph.D. students.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit that website at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/prospective-students/requirements/.
- If you have read the Graduate School and program requirements and are ready to apply, you may proceed to the application at http://www.gradschool.psu.edu/index.cfm/apply/.
Page last updated: November 29, 2016