Associate Professor, Film-Video and Media Studies, Media Studies
An award-winning scholar, Michelle Rodino-Colocino serves as Associate Professor of Media Studies in the College of Communications and Women’s Studies in the College of Liberal Arts. She taught for three years as assistant professor at the University of Cincinnati before coming to Penn State. Her research, teaching and service work spans feminist media and critical cultural studies, with special interest in labor and new media.
Along with her teaching honors, she has been lauded numerous times for her research. Dr. Rodino-Colocino was awarded with the Deans' Excellence Award for Research and Creative Activity in 2014. In 2012, the Division of Critical and Cultural Studies of the National Communication Association honored her publication, “Geek Jeremiads: Speaking the Crisis of Job Loss by Opposing Offshored and H-1B Labor” (Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 9(1), 22-46, 2012), with the Article of the Year Award.
Dr. Rodino-Colocino’s articles have been published in such journals as Communication, Culture & Critique, Critical Studies in Media Communications, New Media & Society, and Feminist Media Studies, among others. She has presented her research at conferences conducted by the Association of Internet Researchers, Console-ing Passions, the International Communication Association, the National Communication Association, and the Union for Democratic Communications. Dr. Rodino-Colocino serves on the steering committee for the Union for Democratic Communications (UDC), is Second Vice Chair of the Critical Cultural Studies Division of the National Communication Association (NCA), and serves on the editorial boards of ICA's Communication, Culture & Critique as well as tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique and the new Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology by the Fembot Collective.
Dr. Rodino-Colocino enjoys working with her excellent colleagues and students and working toward social justice. Dr. Rodino-Colocino is also super-stoked to be program chair of NCA 2015 for the Critical and Cultural Studies Division (in Las Vegas). Please email me with any creative programming ideas: firstname.lastname@example.org and upload your best papers and panel proposals onto the NCA convention website by March 25, 2015.
- Critical And Cultural Studies Of Media
- Feminist Media Studies
- Media And Activism
- Work And New Media
- Rodino-Colocino, Michelle, and Stephanie N. Berberick. (2015, October). “‘You Kind of Have to Bite the Bullet and do Bitch Work’: How Internships Teach Students to Unthink Exploitation in Public Relations." tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society 13.2 (2015): 486-500.
- Rodino-Colocino, Michelle. (2015, October). Feminism’ as Ideology: Sarah Palin’s Anti-Feminist Feminism and Ideology Critique.” In C. Fuchs and V. Mosco (Eds.), Marx and the Political Economy of Media, Boston, MA: Brill/Haymarket. Chapter 10. (Reprint of essay in tripleC: Communication, Capitalism, and Critique, 10(2), 457-473, Spring 2012. http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/414
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2014). # YesAllWomen: Intersectional Mobilization Against Sexual Assault is Radical (Again). Feminist Media Studies, 14(6), 1090-1092.)
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2014). “The He-Cession: Why Feminists Should Rally for the End of White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy,” Feminist Media Studies, 14(2), 343-347.
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2013). “Communique 3.0 Working to ‘Change it." Democratic Communique, 26(1).
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Geek Jeremiads: Speaking the Crisis of Job Loss by Opposing Offshored and H-1B Labor.” Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 9(1), 22-46, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14791420.2011.645490#previewRodino-Colocino, M. (2012). (WInner of the Article of the Year Award, Critical-Cultural Sutides-NCA, 2012).
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Post-Welfare Mothers in Wi-Fi Zones: Dreams of (Im)mobile Privatization in a Neo-Post World.” Feminist Media Studies 12(4), 517-527, special issue on Women and Mobile Intimacy, Larissa Hjorth and Sun Sun Lim (Eds). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14680777.2012.741868 (Top Paper Award, Feminist and Women's Studies Division, NCA 2012).
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Participant Activism: Exploring a Methodology for Scholar-Activists.” Communication, Culture & Critique 5(4), 541-562. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-9137.2012.01140.x/full.
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Man Up, Woman Down: Mama Grizzlies and Anti-Feminist Feminism during the Year of the (Conservative) Woman and Beyond.” Women and Language, 35(1), 79-96special issue on Women and Electoral Politics, Mary Vavrus (Ed.). http://www.womenandlanguage.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/AbstractsSpring2012.pdf.