Associate Professor, Film-Video and Media Studies, Media Studies
On sabbatical for 2014-15.
An award-winning scholar, Michelle Rodino-Colocino serves as associate professor in the Department of Film-Video and Media Studies and is an affiliate faculty member in the Department of Women’s Studies. She taught for three years as assistant professor at the University of Cincinnati before coming to Penn State. Her research, teaching and service work spans feminist media and critical cultural studies, with special interest in labor and new media.
Along with her teaching honors, she has been lauded numerous times for her research. Rodino-Colocino was awarded with the Deans' Excellence Award for Research and Creative Activity in 2014. In 2012, the Division of Critical and Cultural Studies of the National Communication Association honored her publication, “Geek Jeremiads: Speaking the Crisis of Job Loss by Opposing Offshored and H-1B Labor” (Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 9(1), 22-46, 2012), with the Article of the Year Award.
Rodino-Colocino’s articles have been published in such journals as Communication, Culture & Critique, Critical Studies in Media Communications, New Media & Society, and Feminist Media Studies, among others. She has presented her research at conferences conducted by the Association of Internet Researchers, Console-ing Passions, the International Communication Association, the National Communication Association, and the Union for Democratic Communications. Rodino-Colocino serves on the steering committee for the Union for Democratic Communications (UDC), is Second Vice Chair of the Critical Cultural Studies Division of the National Communication Association (NCA), and serves on the editorial boards of ICA's Communication, Culture & Critique as well as tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique and the new Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology by the Fembot Collective.
Rodino-Colocino enjoys working with her excellent colleagues and students and working toward social justice.
- Critical And Cultural Studies Of Media
- Feminist Media Studies
- Media And Activism
- Work And New Media
- Rodino-Colocino, M. “The He-Cession: Why Feminists Should Rally for the End of White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy,” (May 2014, forthcoming). Feminist Media Studies, 14(2).
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Geek Jeremiads: Speaking the Crisis of Job Loss by Opposing Offshored and H-1B Labor.” Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 9(1), 22-46, 2012. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14791420.2011.645490#previewRodino-Colocino, M. (2012). (WInner of the Article of the Year Award, Critical-Cultural Sutides-NCA, 2012)
- “Post-Welfare Mothers in Wi-Fi Zones: Dreams of (Im)mobile Privatization in a Neo-Post World.” Feminist Media Studies 12(4), 517-527, special issue on Women and Mobile Intimacy, Larissa Hjorth and Sun Sun Lim (Eds). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14680777.2012.741868 (Top Paper Award, Feminist and Women's Studies Division, NCA 2012)
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Participant Activism: Exploring a Methodology for Scholar-Activists.” Communication, Culture & Critique 5(4), 541-562. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-9137.2012.01140.x/full
- Rodino-Colocino, M. (2012). “Man Up, Woman Down: Mama Grizzlies and Anti-Feminist Feminism during the Year of the (Conservative) Woman and Beyond.” Women and Language, 35(1), 79-96special issue on Women and Electoral Politics, Mary Vavrus (Ed.). http://www.womenandlanguage.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/AbstractsSpring2012.pdf